Welcome to week 15 of your CSA! We hope you all had a lovely Labor Day weekend and hopefully got to enjoy a few tasty meals too. If your fridge is still full of veggies from last week just throw everything into a skillet with a little butter and salt and caramelize it until it's all cooked down and fragrant. Toss your veggie concoction over pasta for a quick "clean out the fridge" meal. We do this more often than not and it's always delicious!
This past week farm chores have kept us really busy and the harvest list is top notch. We're enjoying the cooler weather and it's amazing how much more energy we have with less heat. It's supposed to warm up a bit again but nothing compared to the extremes from the past few months so we can totally handle it! Thankfully we've made it through the halfway point and hopefully we'll be able to coast along for a while and enjoy the shorter days.
This week's CSA box is full of delicious goodies and we hope you're able to relax a bit in the evenings and enjoy some home cooked meals. After the recipe of the week I have some links to other recipes to help inspire you to cook through the box. Have a great week everyone and enjoy the sunshine! Cheers from Tumbleweed.
WEEK 15 BOX
- HEIRLOOM TOMATOES
- BELL PEPPERS
- ANAHEIM PEPPERS
- JALAPEÑO PEPPERS & SERRANO PEPPERS
- CUCUMBERS-SLICERS & LEMONS
ROASTED EGGPLANT + CHICKPEA PIZZA WITH TAHINI & ZA'ATAR
3 1/2 Tablespoons Tahini
1 1/2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 clove of garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
pinch of salt + pepper
1/2 teaspoon honey
- 1 medium-sized eggplant, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas (if from the can rinsed, drained and patted dry)
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil (divided)
- pinch of dried oregano
- salt + pepper
- 1 bunch of scallions, finely chopped (white and light green parts only)
- 1 ball of your favorite pizza dough (homemade or store bought)
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons za'atar
- 1/4 cup minced parsley
- Preheat the oven to 450F.
- Toss the cubed eggplant and chickpeas with 1 1/2 Tablespoons olive oil, pinch of dried oregano, salt and pepper. Place in a single layer on a prepared baking sheet and roast until golden brown, about 15-20 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- While veggies cook prepare the tahini sauce by combining all the ingredients together and mixing until thick and creamy. This works best with an immersion blender or small food processor. Taste test and adjust seasonings as need be.
- Heat a small skillet over medium heat with the remaining 1 1/2 Tablespoons olive oil. Stir in the chopped scallions and cook until soft and lightly browned, about 5-7 minutes. Remover from the heat and set aside.
- Roll out your pizza dough onto a lightly floured surface. Spread the dough with the tahini sauce and layer on the roasted veggies, scallions, cheese and za'atar. Drizzle the whole pizza with a tiny bit more olive oil and place in the oven for 12-15 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.
- Sprinkle minced parsley over the cooked pizza, slice and serve.
MORE RECIPE IDEAS TO GET YOU THROUGH YOUR BOX