Phewwwww!!! How you folks holding up? It's been HOT this past week. We hope everyone has been healthy and hasn't had to work too hard. This heat has been brutal but we've managed to keep up with chores (though much slower than usual). We started to do a 6am-3pm workday, then sleep from 3-5pm and head back out at 5:30 to finish up anything we didn't complete. It's actually been pretty nice taking a little siesta in the middle of the day and I think we'll try and keep up with this new workday as much as we can.
This week we're beyond stoked to have corn making its seasonal debut in your boxes!!! It's sweeter than ever and tastes best when used right away. However, if you can't get to it tonight keep it in your fridge for up to 5 days (though it will lose some of its sweetness the longer it sits). You're also receiving tomatoes this week. Some of you are receiving cherry tomatoes while others are receiving full size tomatoes. The full size ones are varied in ripeness so if yours aren't quite ripe yet keep them on your counter for a few days to ripen up. Over the next few weeks you'll all be receiving the same tomatoes (both cherry and full size) but as they're just now coming on it's a bit spotty. We're also really happy that the melons are coming on strong!! We don't have quite enough for all members this week so those of you who don't get melons this week will get them next week. They're picked ripe so feel free to dive right in!! They're so damn good!
Alrighty folks, we hope you're enjoying the bounty. As always, below is a list of recipe suggestions to help get you through your CSA haul this week. Cheers to the harvest!
A & T
- Head Lettuce (store in a plastic bag in the fridge)
- Tomatoes (store on the counter not fridge)
- Basil (store on the counter in a jar of water)
- Corn (store in the fridge--but eat soon!!!)
- Melons (store on the counter not fridge)
- Summer Squash/Zucchini (store in the fridge)
- Leeks (store in the fridge)
- Scallions (store in the fridge)
- Kohlrabi (store in the fridge)
- Turnips (remove greens and store them in separate bags from the roots in the fridge)
- Garlic (keep at room temperature)
- Cucumbers (store in the fridge)
- Sweet Peppers (keep in the fridge)
- Melons (for half of you! The other half will get them next week)