Hi folks and welcome to week 11 of your CSA. We hope you're enjoying the August bounty as much as we are. Meal times around the farm have been delicious and we're stoked with the variety available in the fields right now. Hopefully the feeling is mutual and you've been enjoying the flavors of the season as much as we have!
We're almost through our big planting and seeding of fall crops. We've been busy tilling under old sections of the field and preparing the soil for the next big wave of plants. Taylor's been spending a lot of time on the tractor and I've been busy in the greenhouse seeding away. After next week we should have most of our fall transplants in the ground with a few weeks left of direct seeding in the field. It's amazing how quickly time is flying now! Our winter squash harvest is only a few weeks away and there are some huge pumpkins ripening quickly in the upper field! We're already talking about our Thanksgiving menu (I know, too soon!)
Anyhow, enough talk about fall crops-Summer is in full swing and we're loving it!
We've got a delicious recipe of the week for you today but before I get to that I wanted to remind everyone that the Rock The Harvest party is this Sunday! The Greenneck Daredevils will be playing out in the field and we'll have a couple of kegs. Bring anything else you want to drink and a picnic dinner. Hope to see you all at the farm! If you have any questions please feel free to email us.
Alright, have a great week everyone and see you all later today. If you have the time sit and stay for a beer with us at Migration!
WEEK 11 HARVEST
- WATERMELON OR CANTALOUPE (THE WATERMELON HAS A YELLOW FLESH)
- HEIRLOOM TOMATOES
- CHERRY TOMATOES
- GARLIC- CHESNOK RED
- JALAPEÑO PEPPERS
- CORN-EAT AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.- FRESH CORN DOESN'T LAST LONG IN THE FRIDGE!
- KOHLRABI-PURPLE & GREEN
- SUMMER SQUASH/ZUCCHINI
SWEET CORN AND SUMMER SQUASH GNOCCHI
- 1 (16 ounce) package of gnocchi
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted grass-fed butter
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 small summer squash, cut into 1/4 inch rounds
- 1 small zucchini, cut into 1/4 inch rounds
- 1 cup sweet corn kernels (from about 2 ears)
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 4 ounces good quality feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup basil, julienned
- salt + pepper to taste
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add the gnocchi and cook for about 2 minutes (or until they rise to the top of the water) Drain and return the gnocchi to the pan. Add 1 Tablespoon of the butter to the gnocchi and toss well.
- Heat remaining 3 Tablespoons of butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook the butter until it begins to bubble and turn light brown (be careful not to burn the butter!) Add the garlic and jalapeño and cook for about 1 minute. Stir in the summer squash, zucchini and corn. Cook, stirring often until the vegetables begin to brown up a bit. About 3 minutes. Stir in the cooked gnocchi and toss well. Squeeze 2 Tablespoon of fresh lemon juice into the pan and top with feta, basil and plenty of salt + pepper. Divide among plates and serve warm with a sprinkle of more cheese if desired.