Howdy folks and welcome to week 12 of your CSA! Before we get to the contents of the box we just want to say THANK YOU to everyone who made the trek out to the farm for the party on Sunday. It was wonderful to show you all the farm, clink glasses and rock out to the always amazing Greenneck Daredevils. Those of you who couldn't make it no worries, we'll do it again next year! You all rule and thank you for supporting our farm. We couldn't do what we love for a living if it weren't for all of you!
Alright, this week is another summer harvest box. We're swimming in a sea of tomatoes, peppers, corn and melons. I know you've been getting slammed with tomatoes and summer squash recently but they're ripe, bountiful and I think we'll all miss them this winter, so eat up!
Things at the farm have been busy this past week but we're feeling pretty good about transitioning into fall production soon. The potatoes are looking great and the winter squash is ripening by the day. We're getting ready to plant more kale, collard greens, bok choy, broccoli and cauliflower in the upper field and we're anxious to get those transplants out of the greenhouse and into the dirt. If the weather cooperates I think the fall harvest should be really bountiful.
Anyhow, we hope this week you all get to enjoy some tasty home cooked meals and a few cold ones too! Below the recipe of the week are a few links to help inspire you to cook through your boxes. The heirloom tomato and watermelon salad is to die for along with the eggplant hummus. Happy cooking everyone!
WEEK 12 HARVEST BOX
- EGGPLANT-THREE DIFFERENT VARIETIES. THEY ALL TASTE SIMILAR AND CAN BE PREPARED THE SAME WAY.
- HEIRLOOM TOMATOES
- CHERRY TOMATOES
- SUMMER SQUASH/ZUCCHINI
- SWISS CHARD
- LEMON CUCUMBER
- SLICING CUCUMBERS
- SWEET PEPPERS
SPICED ZUCCHINI & HONEY MUFFINS
- 1 2/3 CUP WHITE WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR (OR ALL PURPOSE)
- 1/3 CUP OLD FASHIONED OATS + ADDITIONAL FOR TOPPING
- 1 TEASPOON BAKING POWDER
- 1 TEASPOON BAKING SODA
- 1 TEASPOON GROUND CINNAMON
- 1/4 TEASPOON GROUND NUTMEG
- 1/2 TEASPOON SALT
- 1 EGG
- 1/2 CUP HONEY
- 1/2 CUP ALMOND MILK (OR DAIRY MILK)
- 1/4 CUP OLIVE OIL
- 1 TEASPOON PURE VANILLA EXTRACT
- 1 1/4 CUPS GRATED ZUCCHINI (OR SUMMER SQUASH)
- 1/3 CUP DARK CHOCOLATE CHIPS
- PREHEAT THE OVEN TO 350F. LINE A STANDARD 12 CUP MUFFIN PAN WITH LINERS (OR GREASE WITH OIL) AND SET ASIDE.
- IN A LARGE MIXING BOWL WHISK TOGETHER THE FLOUR, OATS, BAKING POWDER, BAKING SODA, CINNAMON, NUTMEG AND SALT. SET ASIDE.
- IN A SEPARATE BOWL WHISK TOGETHER THE EGG, HONEY, MILK, OIL AND VANILLA EXTRACT. POUR THIS MIXTURE INTO THE DRY MIXTURE AND USING A WOODEN SPOON MIX UNTIL JUST COMBINED (DON'T OVER MIX!) STIR IN THE ZUCCHINI AND CHOCOLATE CHIPS UNTIL EVENLY DISTRIBUTED.
- POUR THE BATTER EVENLY BETWEEN THE 12 MUFFIN CUPS. SPRINKLE EXTRA OATS ON TOP OF EACH MUFFIN. BAKE FOR 18-20 MINUTES OR UNTIIL A TOOTHPICK INSERTED IN THE CENTER OF A MUFFIN COMES OUT CLEAN.
- TRANSFER MUFFINS TO A COOLING RACK UNTIL COOL ENOUGH TO HANDLE. SERVE WARM WITH SOME GOOD QUALITY BUTTER AND A CUP OF COFFEE.